6 Design Mistakes You Should Never Make
We are deep in the heart of summer right now, and it’s so hot here in PA. Too hot to be outside, so just maybe your focus is starting to turn to the inside of your home – largely because that’s where the air conditioning is!
If you want to complete a project by the holidays, you need to start thinking about it NOW. What fun!
I thought it might be helpful to point out some design mistakes that you should never make:
- Never paint test colors directly on your walls. The color will bleed through. You may end up having to paint more coats of paint. Paint big swatches on poster board and move it around the room to see how your new color might look in different areas of light.
- Never buy artwork to fill a space. Buy what you love and find a space for it
- Make sure you have proper measurements before buying an area rug. Also,make sure it’s large enough for the space. Area rugs that are too small feel skimpy and less welcoming.
- White floors will be a problem; dark floors as well. You will always be cleaning.
- Don’t do cheap. If you can’t afford to do it, wait. You will end up saving money and the environment, and you won’t have to replace it.
- Don’t be trendy. Do only things you really love.
I could go on… these are very basic. Maybe you already knew them but might’ve forgotten. There are so many options coming at us every day.
It can be overwhelming to sort it all out and bring it together to make a room that brings you joy. Looking at cheap things made in China is never inspiring (unless you’ve been to China and purchased whatever it is there and it has a wonderful memory attached to it).
Keep your focus on what makes you happy in all departments of your life.
And remember…Do and purchase only things you really love.