Five Decorating Essentials
It’s been a while since I’ve written anything about interior design. But since I’m doing so much of it these days, I thought I would give you some of my favorite things to remember when decorating a room.
- A room has to be comfortable. It has to facilitate whatever it’s going to be used for but mostly you should be able to relax when you are in any room of your home. Even your office.
- Color should complement what you love that is in the room like art or any object that is a focal point. I prefer a neutral palette and since I believe a home should be our haven, color can be very personal. We all have different colors that we love to live with. Always use the best paint that you can afford.
- Lighting can totally change a room. I like to use at least 3 options. Lamps, overhead, and sconces. Uplights are also wonderfully dramatic in living room and dining room situations. All on dimmers of course.
- Use solid color fabrics. I like to think our lives are what add the patterns to a room. Adding patterns to a room can happen with pillows, rugs, and art.
- Every room should have things in it that make it uniquely yours. Like a painting, nice mirror or anything that has a story. It creates a conversation every time you walk by it or someone else notices it.
May is a time to start moving our lives outdoors but as more of us create our outdoor rooms most of these tips still apply.
So remember. It’s just stuff and colors. Have fun with it. Enjoy the many seasons of life. I’m going to go put on my summer slip covers!